SOME 15,000 customers are without power as flash floods and lightning storms disrupt power supplies across the North East.
Northern Power Grid issue a statement just after 11pm saying they were working to restore power as quickly as possible.
The number of properties in the northeast without power supplies now stands at 15,000 the worst hit areas are Consett, Whitley Bay, Prudhoe, Shiremoor, Newcastle City Centre and Stanhope.
The statement said: "Northern Powergrid engineers will continue working into the night to restore power.
" We have well-rehearsed emergency plans in place and we would like to reassure customers that we are doing everything possible to restore supplies, with the safety of our engineers and customers being our number one priority.
"We would like to apologise to those customers still experiencing power supply problems.
Consett and Tynemouth are due to be two areas badly affected by the outage.
Advice for those without power is below and anyone struggling can contact the power cut helpline on 0800 668877.
- Turn off electrical appliances at the socket. This is particularly important for heating or cooking appliances as your power could return at any time and potentially cause a safety hazard if you are absent, asleep or unaware.
- Keep one light switched on so that you know when electricity has returned.
- Check on any vulnerable neighbours and relatives to make sure they are comfortable and well.
- Use battery-powered lamps or torches if possible instead of candles as they are safer.
- Only call 999 in the event of an emergency.
Are you in the area? Do you know someone who is without power? Let us know in the comments below or call 0191 2016446