Time to show your resolution
Jan 1 2011 The Journal
NEW year, new shape, new attitude. Fitness expert DAVID FAIRLAMB brings you his top tips.
EVEN though 30% of new year resolutions are broken in the first week and the majority of the other 70% are broken within four weeks, I still believe that, with the right attitude and planning, new year fitness and health resolutions are worth making.
The statistics make awful reading but many resolutions are made after a few drinks on New Years Eve and are half hearted and unrealistic.
Those who have a realistic goal and are prepared to work with the right attitude will often hit their targets.
Remember, there is no magic pill – rather than being one of the masses who fail to achieve this year, why don’t you step out of your comfort zone and be one of the few who succeed? Here are a few guidelines:
Step 1 – The right time
New Year is often a time for reflection and a good time to make changes and set new challenges. In many cases, waiting for the right time is just an excuse as it will never be right. Be positive, make a commitment and stick to it.
Step 2 – Set a goal and plan
Set your sensible long-term target but you must have shorter goals along the way to help keep you focused and on track. Monthly targets are a good marker.
Step 3 – Commitment
Think about how you will stay committed and what barriers may stand in your way. If you feel it is helpful, do it for someone else. Many of my clients are gaining sponsorship for hitting there goals. All proceeds going to Mark Allison – www.rungeordierun.com – who, on May 1 this year, starts his phenomenal 3,100-mile run across America for two charities. If you feel you can help, please check his website. If you won’t do it for yourself, do it for Mark!
Step 4 – Clear out the rubbish
If you are looking to lose weight and food is your concern, fresh and healthy is the only way forward. Cross any processed rubbish from your shopping list and bin or give away any unhealthy leftovers from your cupboards.
Step 5 – Exercise
The combination of eating healthily and exercise is the only way to drop your weight and maintain it. It’s a lifestyle change not just a quick fix. Check my regular Saturday fitness column in The Journal. Next week, I will be continuing my “Fat Attack Circuit”, a short, sharp quick circuit designed to burn fat and improve your strength and fitness.
Step 6 – Reach for Help
If you feel you can’t do it yourself, try to pull in another family member or friend to back you up or, even better, employ a company like mine. We can give you all the expertise, backing and motivation in all aspects of fitness and well-being to guide you to your goals. My business motto of “No goal is too high if you climb it with care and confidence” is true, and you may surprise yourself by what you can achieve.
Step 7 – Just do it!
With the right attitude and determination you can achieve your goals this year, enjoy your new challenge and have confidence and self belief in what you are doing.
Find out more about David Fairlamb Fitness Consultants at www.davidfairlambfitness.co.uk or by calling 07713 640 899